The Lab Automation benefits of Online LIMS
Some of the LIMS advantages and features of Online LIMS that stand out and make our product the best choice for a commercial or production lab in the Environmental and Geochemical fields:
System and Design reduces support and maintenance costs
1) Online LIMS client-server architecture makes deployment very easy, only requiring adding short-cuts of the Online LIMS modules on the client’s computer desktop. This can represent huge savings for IT by reducing support and maintenance cost. All applications and configuration are managed centrally on the server. Note: There is also no installation or setup required to install the Online LIMS applications on the server. Simply create a shared folder that can be accessed by the client computer in the network.
2) Online LIMS applications will run in any MS Windows OS from Win95 to Win8.
3) Online LIMS backend database can use any version of MS SQL server from SQL Server 7 to SQL Server 2012, also supports SQL Server Express edition.
4) System configuration and maintenance is complete in the hands of the client (lab staff) requiring very little or no IT support.
5) Online LIMS application suit is developed using the highest technology for increase efficiency and scalability and it is not an Excel based solution.
“Online LIMS incorporates the lab’s natural and logical workflow in the design of their data model. This creates a clean and well-defined structure with two distinct modules: Analytical and Management. The Online Worksheet is at the core of the Analytical module and it integrates all instruments in the lab. OnLab is the main module used for the lab management. This structure has proven very successful and flexible and is easily adapted to any lab”
OnLab – Laboratory Management Module – creates efficiencies
1) OnLAB supports two types of jobs simultaneously: Routine and Batch. Batch jobs are best suited for client requests that have variable number and type of analysis, for example Geology, Exploration, Water samples from clients, etc. Routine jobs are best suited for production environments where the analysis performed are routine in nature, usually a known sampling point within the process itself, example, Metallurgical process (copper, gold, zinc), Smelters, Refineries, etc. Routine jobs allow the lab staff and lab clients to quickly access historical data and do performance analysis effortlessly.
2) OnLAB data can be easily shared with other systems, and interfaces can be built for third party ERP or Accounting systems. Online LIMS provides several SQL Server tools to allow the creation of third party interfaces as easily as possible.
3) OnLAB supports an Excel-based solution to export data from Routine jobs and generate custom reports.
4) The LabData module allows lab clients a read-only view of the lab reports. This module is used by clients to generate their own export files in various formats after the data has been approved by the lab manager. Having the clients export their own results reduces the workload of the lab staff.
5) LabData also allows clients to generate their own “analysis request”, including the samples and analysis that need to be performed by the lab. This also reduces the lab staff workload because sample entry and validation is passed off to the client. No further manual sample manipulation is required once the samples are registered in the LIMS.
Online LIMS Worksheet (OnWSH) – The laboratory technician’s digital workbook.
1) The Online Worksheet is an easy-to-use and a powerful tool able to manage complex and large methods easily. With its Excel “look and feel”, users are comfortable in a short time with minimal training. It has many built-in functions and tools specially designed to aid technicians in their daily work.
2) The Online Worksheet has extensive auditing and security functions in combination with an excellent quality control module, making laboratory accreditation a more “pleasant” and efficient process. Many laboratories have been able to get their accreditation using the Online LIMS system.
3) The Online Worksheet is able to retrieve data from many laboratory instruments either via serial connection or file transfer. Besides retrieving the instruments analysis results, the Worksheet also stores other instrument parameters such as dilution, standard deviation, uncertainty, notes, etc. This make the Worksheet a 3D tool that allows the chemist to work not only with the analysis results but with other parameters supplied by the instrument.
6) The Online LIMS Worksheet also has a “visual wave length selector” tool specially designed to work with large ICP result sets. This tool allows chemist to visually select the wavelength to use within each element of an ICP method. The selected wavelength markers are then converted to formulas before the results are calculated.
Online QA/QC an interactive statistical data analyzer
1) OnLQC is the Online LIMS Quality Assurance and Quality Control Module. Unlike other QC systems, OnLQC is an advanced interactive statistical module. With two graphic cursors the user can include or exclude data points for statistical analysis.
2) The LIMS QA/QC module plots Shewhart control charts with standard values by report or worksheet and provides the analyst with the data required to make informed decisions. Other charting options include: Cumulative Sum and X Control. All of these charts can be exported directly to MS Excel along with all the pertinent statistics.
3) OnLQC provides “real time” QA/QC data by accessing live laboratory data. A distribution curve chart graphically displays standard data and lists the range, average, standard deviation, and the number of data points collected for the standard.